So last night, we were sitting on the couch and reading stories to Scarlett. I asked her if she was a princess. This is how the conversation went:
Me: “Am I a Princess?”
Me: “Is Daddy a Princess?”
At this point both Ross and I laughed. It was funny. Especially since she seemed so excited about the prospect of Daddy being a princess.
Me: “Does Daddy live in a castle?”
Me: “What’s Daddy’s Princess name?”
Now, this sounded a lot like Beyell but I got the gist. Ross laughed.
Ross: “That sounds about right. I’m a bookish, I’m pretty, and I suffer for a mild case of Stockholm Syndrome.”
Me: “Ha ha, and you’re married to a beast. But hey, wait, does that mean I get a Mrs. Potts? I could use a CGI tea pot to cook and clean for me.”
Ross: “Plus, the musical numbers.”
I know this is a ridiculous conversation. One of many we have at our house. We entertain ourselves. But there is some merit here.
- Ross and I both love a library and are incredibly bookish/nerdy people.
- Although he doesn’t have an eccentric inventor for a father, we do have an entire room in our basement devoted to trains. Make of that what you will
- He likes to dance. Ballgowns aside.
- He’s married to an antisocial, brusque individual who doesn’t like others
There are, however, some things going against him.
- He can’t carry a tune to save his life.
- He prefers non-fiction instead of fiction. Unless it’s a Scandinavian detective novel, then all bets are off.
- If he disappeared, people would care and look for him. Even if he did disappear into a distant castle that everyone has seemed to forget about.
As for me, here is the comparison.
- I am antisocial and don’t really like to leave my house.
- I often talk to inanimate objects with the expectation that they will hear me and do what I say. Who doesn’t?
- I am uncomfortable in new social situations and with new people.
- I have been known to roar on occasion
There are some things going against me too.
- I am not a wealthy aristocrat. That would be awesome, however. I would definitely like a castle of my own.
- I’m not that hairy. I mean, neither was he in the end but that’s neither here nor there.
- I, in fact, do not have a Mrs. Potts to cook and clean for me. I’m very disappointed with that fact.
- Honestly, the beast might be a better dancer than me. I literally have no rhythm or coordination.
- And finally, I like to bathe. So the hygiene thing is definitely a difference between us.
So, there you have it. Ross as the Beauty in our relationship and me as the Beast. I can’t even say that I’m surprised or offended. I’m not sure what that says about me.